Hey Blerdy Tribe! It’s the end of yet another month, so it’s time for the Blerdy Otome Monthly Recap! Is it me or did June kind of just breeze by? I’ll be honest, the blog kind of took a back seat for me this month—I didn’t write as many reviews as I thought I would, because I put a lot of my energy into getting my Twitch channel setup. And, my efforts paid off, because I made Twitch Affiliate earlier this month and I’m rocking 159 followers (and I even have subscribers too)! I’m having a lot of fun with Twitch and everyone I’ve met has been super chill and awesome and I can’t wait to see where things go in the future!
Offline, summer is finally in full swing! The temps are rising and here in the DC area things are opening back up, so I’ll probably see about doing some exploring again! Also cons are starting up again and since I’m fully vaccinated, I’m definitely going to try and hit up a few local ones, like BlerdCon and Otakon! So, before we dive into the July, let’s take a look back at the Month of June here on Blerdy Otome!
Favorite June Post
This Pride Month, I wanted to take a step back and create a space for folks from the LGBTQ+ community to speak their truth–because Blerdy Otome is and always will remain a safe space. So, I did a call for Queer game devs/folks working in the gaming industry to participate in an “interview” where they shared their thoughts and their experiences on being queer in the gaming community. The response was overwhelming and I want to thank everyone who lent their voices to this project–you all are the real MVPs! So, enough of me, let’s turn things over to the amazing folks!
Blog Posts from June
- Melanin Friendly Games – ValiDate: Struggling Singles in Your Area
- Indie Spotlight: Peachleaf Valley Seeds Of Love
- MARS RED: Edge of the Nightmare Game Review
- Moonchime Studios to Release BL Game Tokyo Onmyoji in English
- Tears of Themis Pre-Registration Open for Summer 2021 Release
- [Pride Month 2021] Loads More LGBTQ Positive Visual Novels
- Games I’m Most Excited About From Wholesome Games Direct 2021
- Games That Give Off Summer Vibes
- Blerdy Otome’s Steam Summer Sale 2021 Must Buys!
- Voices of the Community – Game Devs on LGBTQ+ Representation in Games
- I’m in LOVE with these Super Cute Otome Enamel Pins!: Review + Giveaway
Instagram Fave Post
Of all my social media accounts, Instagram is where I’m most active. So, here is my favorite Instagram post from June!
Reviews To Expect in July
I usually just go with the flow when it comes to content here on Blerdy Otome, so it’s kind of hard to pin down what to expect each month. I want to get better at sticking to a “schedule” so I thought it would be good practice to include a section with some of the reviews I plan to write during the upcoming month. Not only will this hold me accountable, but it will also give you all an idea of what to expect to see in the month ahead. Full disclosure, this is not a complete list and there’s a good chance things will change—this is more of a rough draft…
- Otome Jam 2021 – There’s a whole new crop of indie otome games on the horizon and I’m gonna do my damndest to work my way through them… some I may stream, but I’m going to my best to get through them all!
- Monstrous Lovers – I’m about halfway through the game (?) so I should be able to bang out a review soon. Note, I backed this game on indiegogo back in 2016 and trust, I have some things to say about the long dev time on this game.
- Taisho x Alice Epilogue – It’s the final chapter in the TaiAli saga (yeah I know about the FD) and I need to know how this wild ride ends…
- Piofiore Fated Memories – I’ve finished Nicola’s route and I’m still fairly early in Yang’s route. Let me tell you, Yang is WILD…
From Around the Reader
My Feelings Toward Touken Ranbu – Red Rose Mandy (RedRoseMandy)
Anime News Network wrote a review of the joseimuke Touken Ranbu and lets just say it was the otome fandom was not pleased with what they had to say (read: pissed off). Mandy from Red Rose Mandy shares her thoughts about the ANN article and her feelings about Touken Ranbu.
Top 5 Anime Foods I want to eat – Sushiii With Soysauce (SushiiiWithSoysauce)
Have you ever watched an anime that showed food so good it made your mouth water? Well, Sushiii With Soysauce has you covered with this delicious list of anime foods they’d love to eat! So grab a snack and check out which meals made the cut!
This Is Who I Am – Mel’s Universe (Simply Mel)
In this very personal post, Mel shares how she came to understand more about who she is! This is a fantastic post and I am so glad that Mel felt comfortable sharing her journey with us.
Into the Yaoi Fold – The Wonder of Anime (thewonderofivy)
My girl, Lisa recently jumped on the BL bandwagon has fallen headfirst down the rabbit hole (and I fully support it). Over on her site, The Wonder of Anime, she recently wrote about her descent into the world of boys love–from her early reservations about the genre to the present!
Pride Month: 5 Companies/ Developers that create LGBTQ+ Games – The Kitten Who Eats Ramen (Ryder Krystal Rose)
Just in time for Pride Month, The Kitten Who Eats Ramen released an amazing list of indie game companies that create LGBTQ+ positive games! There are a lot of great companies/devs listed, so definitely check them out!
Thank You for Your Support!!
A lot of what I do here on Blerdy Otome is because of the support of all of you amazing readers–whether it’s your encouraging words on Twitter, liking a post or just sharing my posts with others, you guys are the real MVPS ! It’s no secret that buying games and manga for reviews puts a strain on my wallet and while I love what I do, a little extra help goes a long way!