Edit (4/14): The Kickstarter for this game was successful at meeting its funding goal. The final funding amount was $7,798 from 394 backers! The game now has a tentative release date of 2018!
Hey hey guys I’m kicking off the week with yet another awesome Kickstarter campaign!! I meant to have this post up last week, but it just didn’t happen
, but with just 11 Days left in the campaign I just had to get this post out to you all ASAP! This time around I’ll be covering the Kickstarter campaign for the upcoming queer post apocalyptic visual novel, Who We Are Now!
WhoWe Are Now follows Wes, one of the many survivors of an apocalyptic event that turned the world into a barren wasteland. The game depicts his interactions with other survivors, each with their own stories to tell, but it is through their shared trauma that they learn to find solace in one another as they pick up the pieces of their lives.
Who We Are Now is a queer, post-apocalyptic visual novel set ten years after a nuclear war scoured the earth. It follows Wes, a young man who, drowning in the memories of everyone he’s lost, returns to a settlement called Home in search of something to ease his pain.
It is a game about trying to move on from past trauma, about trying to find yourself in a world you don’t understand anymore, and about finding love even in the most extreme of circumstances. It’s a game about exploring the relationships between characters, each with their own problems, thrown together in this place called Home.
Wes is the protagonist of a the game and one of the handful of survivors following a nuclear war that devastated the Earth. Like everyone in this new world, Wes is just looking for a safe haven in this new post apocalyptic word.
- Jesse was on the fast track to fame prior to the cataclysmic events of the game, in the blink of an eye, everything he ever knew was snatched from right under his nose. But, when a run in with bandits left him disfigured, Jesse began to shy away from others in order to avoid their pity and disdain.
- Xander was still in his teens when everything came to an end and even now he still acts like a child. After the fallout, he noticed that he had developed the ability to control electricity, but due to instability of his powers he is shunned by the others at the settlement.
- Nathan was married prior to the start of the game, but after the everything ended his partner left him without any explanation. While he has since tried to move on from the incident, he is dealing with the pain of being left behind by someone he cared about…
- Ray, like Jesse, had a promising future prior to the war. Fresh out of school and ready to start work as a game designer, but the war crushed his dreams forever. Ray tries to remain positive despite his loss, but he is harboring a secret that threatens to destroy the facade he has created.
- An expansive visual novel experience with HOURS of gameplay and features!!
- There will be a total of FOUR romantic partners, each with their own unique storylines and endings.
- The cast of Who We Are Now is diverse, featuring characters from across the board in terms of race, gender, sexuality, etc.
- Interact with the residents of the Home settlement and help your chosen partner deal with their individual conflicts.
- Help Wes come to terms with his own demons.
- The game will also features an fantastic soundtrack from Manny Baltazar and original artwork!!
This will be a commercial release, but by pledging at the $15 level, you all can snag a copy of the game. There are also a set of Stretch Goals that will expand the scope of the game if met. Some of the expanded features include additional artwork and CGs, and an additional love interest!! Upon it’s release the game will be available for Windows, Mac, Linux! The tentative release date is set for 2018! The Campaign Goal is $6,000 and the KS will run until April 14th, 2017!
At this time there is a demo which can be downloaded from the game’s itch.io page. The demo covers opening of the game and gives players the opportunity to interact with two of the planned love interests! It may be short, but you’ll get a good feel for the mechanics and the characters, so it’s definitely worth checking out!
So PLEASE check out the Kickstarter campaign, HERE, and lend your support. There is still time left for the campaign and every little bit helps! The various price tiers come with some nice goodies so definitely check them out!
You can also contact the development team on Social Media through the following channels:
- Bryce’s Twitter (writer and programmer)
- Allison’s Twitter (artist)
- Tumblr (art and updates)
- itch.io (for Demo)
If you can’t help out monetarily, SHARE this post or the Kickstarter page on social media and spread the word! As always THANK YOU for reading!!!