30 Day Anime Challenge- Day 18: My Favorite Supporting Female Anime Character
So today I’m talking about my favorite supporting female anime character… I dunno what it is, but it is harder for me to choose my favorite female characters. You’d think that being a woman would make choosing a favorite female character easy but I don’t really rate female characters, so this was kind of a hard choice for me…
Then it hit me, I knew exactly which character I wanted to write about! Most of you could argue that this character is technically a main character since she appears in a majority of her anime’s episodes. But, the main focus of an anime character is mostly on another character. So my pick for my favorite supporting female anime character is…
Ash Ketchum’s first female companion and leader of the Cerulean City Gym, Misty from Pokemon. Misty has always been one of my all time favorite characters, because she wasn’t some princess that needed saving. Misty knew how to hold her own and take care of herself… unless there are Bug-type Pokemon around. Of all the female companions that have come and gone in the Pokemon anime, none will ever hold a candle to Misty! So here’s a list of all the reasons I love Misty:
- She’s an established trainer! Unlike the newer female Pokemon companions, Misty didn’t have to be trained by Ash in the art of Pokemon training. In fact it was the reverse, Misty helped teach Ash the ins and outs of being a Pokemon trainer!
- She’s a frickin’ Gym Leader! Not only was she veteran Pokemon trainer at the start of the series, but Misty was one of the top Pokemon trainers in the Kanto region! Not just anyone can be a Pokemon Gym Leader, only the elite are chosen by the Pokemon League to test the skills of up and coming trainers! What’s more, Misty was good at it!
- She’s a tomboy. Misty is the kind of girl that isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. As a kid I was bit of a tomboy myself, so it was awesome to see a character like Misty that I could relate to. When compared with her supermodel sisters, Misty is much more rugged and down to Earth. But, that doesn’t mean she doesn’t know how to be a lady!
- She wasn’t going to let anything stand in the way of her goals. From the beginning Misty always knew she wanted to Water Pokemon Master, and she worked hard to reach her goal. Throughout her journey with Ash and the gang, Misty grew as a trainer through the various battles she experienced. But, there was only so much she could experience with Ash, so though I was sad to see her leave the series, ultimately her departure was for the best. She had to move on to bigger and better things in order to follow her dreams!
- She’s responsible. It takes a lot of hard work and responsibility to manage an entire gym, and Misty managed to do it all on her own! Talk about dedication, despite being the youngest sibling, Misty steps up to the plate and takes over the Cerulean City Gym while her sisters are of gallivanting around the world. I don’t know too many people that would be willing to do something like that, do you?
- The bike… Okay, so I can’t write a post about Misty without talking about her bike! After Pikachu fried her bike at the beginning of the series, Misty began relentlessly pursuing Ash until he paid for the damages (he never did).
I have a few more reasons why I love Misty, but they are kind of hard to word. They have more to do with how awesome it felt to have a strong female character to look up to, especially back when most people insisted that Pokemon was for boys. Misty showed me that it was okay for girls to like Pokemon too!
So, that’s my choice for my favorite supporting female anime character… What did you think of my pick? Who would you have chosen? Let me know in the comments section! As always THANK YOU for reading!!!